In order to nurture social interaction, people and places should be connected throughout the city.
At LUCI, we believe that light is an enabler of urban regeneration and social sustainability, and that it is a powerful and creative tool for citizen participation.
In today’s increasingly digitised societies, light can encourage people to identify with each other as users of the same city and interact in the space around them, especially during night-time. Light contributes to bonding people and bridging gaps regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, religion, level of income, etc. Freely and equally accessible light can also improve quality of life throughout the entire city. Citizen participation and interaction are a major goal in the management of local public policies to enable a user-focused city. Urban lighting can help to foster social cohesion by concretely involving communities.
Objectives and activities
The activities in this Pillar will explore how light can support community engagement, urban regeneration and placemaking processes. We will favour innovative learning methods to develop ideas and solutions in a participatory approach.
Leaders and partners
See how cities are using light for Social Cohesion
- Menschen memorial installation initiates a lamp collect for Ukraine during the Bright Festival
- Light can be a “Beacon of Hope”
- Beacon of Hope – an international light art co-creation
- One month left to apply for the LUCI Cities & Lighting Awards!
- Lucia project: co-creating urban lighting solutions
- Co-creation of Urban Lighting Solutions: an Interview with Heike Bunte (Lucia Project)
- Don’t miss the next SMART-SPACE webinar on smart lighting and citizens
- The power of participative light planning
- Interactive lights for Strasbourg industrial heritage
- Tallinn call for lighting designers – Bastion Zone parks lighting