Public spaces are the beating heart of the city. They are the spaces where people – inhabitants and visitors alike – experience the city, its architecture and its infrastructure.
At LUCI, we believe that light can be the enabler of new applications and services in the public space, and it can even help reconstruct the notion of public space itself.
Developing good lighting policies for public spaces has the power to enhance urban structures and areas. It can create distinctive ambiences and nightscapes. Light can help citizens to navigate the spaces they inhabit or visit, and can be a powerful tool to support a smart and environmentally-friendly mobility. It can contribute to an attractive, functional and secure living environment, and boost identity and experience for residents and tourists.
Objectives and activities
LUCI seeks to advance our common knowledge of the role of light in public spaces by creating innovative tools to enhance the exchange of information on this topic.
Leaders and partners
More about light and public spaces
- New lighting for Reykjavík’s Ódinstorg square
- Rotterdam: on the road to all-LED streetlights in 2025
- City of Amsterdam commissions new permanent light installation
- Award for Stavanger new light plan
- Light chain prototype in Eindhoven
- Back on site: Malaga
- Leipzig rivers back to light
- Budapest completes first phase of LED street light replacement
- LUCI People : Daisy van Eijck-Nilwik
- Mechelen pilots intelligent street lights