LUCI People : Charles Nacoulma
Director of Energy and Electrical Equipment in Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
- Your main responsibilities and tasks at work are: planning, implementation and follow-up of public and traffic lighting maintenance and new installations in the city. I also represent the city when dealing with
partners linked to energy and promote the use of clean energy in the city. In addition, I programme the implementation of energy consumption-optimising tools in relevant public administration buildings.
- The best part of your job is : following the technological and technical evolutions in the field of lighting.
- The lighting department in Ouagadougou is : composed of 14 staff members and is under the authority of the Energy and Electrical Equipment Department of Ouagadougou.
- The key ingredients of a successful urban lighting project are : proper analysis of needs, including an initial study of the environment and context of the project, and an assessment of the economic advantages of a particular solution. This should be followed by proper planning including the choice of material, selection of contractor, and planning of the work schedule. And finally, proper implementation and follow-up of the work is essential.
- In an ideal world, the most appropriate lighting solution for Ouagadougou would be : solar LED lamps.
Place of Birth:
Tanghin-Dassouri, Burkina Faso
Electrical Engineer, Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Master’s degree in Quality, Hygiene, Security and Environment.
Head of Public and Traffic Lighting in the City of Ouagadougou
Time at current post:
- A new technology or tool that has changed the way Ouagadougou is lit is : LED technology because LED lamps use much less energy than other lighting technologies and have an economic lifetime that is 3 to 5 times longer.
- Biggest professional challenge faced so far : the implementation of a solar LED light pilot project in two streets of Ouagadougou. The realisation of this project will lead to savings of around 35 000 € in the lighting network electricity bill.
- Best professional experience so far : the introduction of LED and renewable energy solutions in the public lighting network of Ouagadougou.
- An international lighting project that has impressed you is : the intelligent lighting projects realised by the City of Lyon.
- A city that inspires you for its overall lighting is : Lyon, with its intelligent lighting as well as the architectural lighting that enhances its buildings.
- Your professional goals for the year ahead : illuminating the city and promoting the use of solar LED lamps in the public lighting network.
- Besides light, you are passionate about : travelling and meeting people.
- Finish the sentence : Light in the city is … simply magnificent!
- Read more about urban lighting in Ouagadougou
- Read about the training session on public lighting management for West African cities which took place in Ouagadougou in July 2018
Images © City of Ouagadougou