A municipality of around 204 000 inhabitants in northern Finland, Oulu experiences an arctic dark winter that provides a unique environment for urban light art and light planning. “Light is one way to improve the safety of the residential areas of the city and offer comfortable and pleasurable urban experiences for inhabitants.”
The city of Oulu has organized Lumo Light Festival every year starting from 2013. The goal of the festival is to bring light and joy for the people during the darkest of times and offer new viewpoints to the city experience. Each year a place is chosen from the city centre and illuminated with light art.
The popularity of the festival has grown each year and it currently gathers an audience measured in tens of thousands to enjoy light art experiences and community feelings during a November weekend.
The Oulu Lighting Master Plan was finished in 2010, aiming to modernize the public lighting and improve its energy efficiency. The master plan also includes technical specifications and light planning guidelines for various areas of the city.
MORE INFORMATION: www.ouka.fi
Read more about Oulu
- Lumo Light Festival Oulu – Call for Proposals 2020
- City under Microscope Oulu – exploring a special relationship with light
- Oulu European Capital of Culture open call
- Watch Lyon Light Festival Forum 2018 panel discussions on new forms of creative lighting
- Lumo Light Festival Oulu – Call for Proposals 2019
- Lyon Light Festival Forum 2018 – creative lighting in all its forms
- Nordic light in Oulu: the Bridges of Pikisaari
- Call for proposals: LUMO Light Festival Oulu 2018
- Call for projects: Lumo Light Festival Oulu 2017