Smart-Space, is a European project aiming to facilitate the uptake of smart lighting in small and mid-size municipalities.
The three-year project, funded by INTERREG North West Europe (NWE), brings together cities and innovation stakeholders (research institutes, SMEs, enterprises) to jointly develop an interoperable smart lighting platform that is adjustable to the specific needs of different municipalities.
Through pilots in four cities, the project aims to demonstrate the impact of smart lighting on energy consumption and CO2 emission while enhancing public space safety and liveability.
Smart-Space will jointly:
- develop an interoperable smart lighting platform adjustable to the specific needs of different municipalities;
- demonstrate the impact of smart lighting on energy consumption and CO2 emission, while enhancing public space safety and liveability at 4 pilot municipalities;
- increase awareness on smart lighting technologies and their potential;
- develop a transition roadmap with procurement standards, implementation guidelines, and policy recommendations to the EU, and 5) establish the sustainable SMART-SPACE knowledge centre.
Lead partner: Stad Oostende
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Ziut B.V.
- Stad Sint-Niklaas
- Stad Middelburg
- Comhairle Contae Thiobraid Arann
- Intemo Special Products B.V.
- Technische Universiteit Eindhoven Innovation Lab BV
- Technische Universiteit Eindhoven Inteligent Lighting Instituut
- Université de Picardie Jules Verne
Project period: 2018-2021
Total budget: € 6.88 m
More information: Smart-Space project webpage