Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland is located in the southwest of Iceland. It is the economic, cultural and political hub of the country with a population of 121.230 within Reykjavík itself and over 208.751 when including the surrounding urban areas. The total surface area of Reykjavík is 273 km².
PUBLIC LIGHTING MANAGEMENT
The municipality is responsible for
- street lighting
- decorative and architectural lighting
- lighting for public buildings and sports facilities
The municipality has an agreement with OR, a municipality owned electricity supplier of power and maintenance.
Lighting master plan
Reykjavik has a 30-year-old masterplan for part of the city centre but it is working on a new masterplan and it has to date measured over 50% of all street lighting in Reykjavík and collected data on its status.
Some recently implemented lighting projects
- the renewing a part of the old lighting around city centre
- the lighting of Borgartún a street close to city centre
- the lighting of a path with motion sensors in a recreational green area
LIGHTING FACTS AND FIGURES
- Number of lighting points: 25 000
More information: http://reykjavik.is/en