Public spaces are the beating heart of the city. They are the spaces where people – inhabitants and visitors alike – experience the city, its architecture and its infrastructure.
At LUCI, we believe that light can be the enabler of new applications and services in the public space, and it can even help reconstruct the notion of public space itself.
Developing good lighting policies for public spaces has the power to enhance urban structures and areas. It can create distinctive ambiences and nightscapes. Light can help citizens to navigate the spaces they inhabit or visit, and can be a powerful tool to support a smart and environmentally-friendly mobility. It can contribute to an attractive, functional and secure living environment, and boost identity and experience for residents and tourists.
Objectives and activities
LUCI seeks to advance our common knowledge of the role of light in public spaces by creating innovative tools to enhance the exchange of information on this topic.
Leaders and partners
More about light and public spaces
- London’s Illuminated River project underway
- « Light brings life to the city » – Alderman of new LUCI member city Antwerp
- Night in a new light – Luc Gwiazdzinski
- Night in a new light : the many facets of the urban nighttime
- Night in a new light – Kaoru Mende
- Night in a new light – Leni Schwendinger
- Seoul selects top 10 best night views
- Chinese cities gather in Shanghai to address importance of urban lighting
- Mapping light and art in Rotterdam
- New landmark for Pula